Tuesday, February 12, 2008

On smoke.


I'm really happy nowadays because I just finished the rough draft of my thesis. It turned out ok, but there's still tons more work left for me to do on it. For instance, I need to go through each sentence and delete some of the "smoky"'s. I didn't realize it as I was writing, but apparently the word "smoky" is my go-to adjective in almost any circumstance. Here's some examples that need fixing:

"'Young Master Billy, if you would please keep your smoky shoes off the table,' the butler said."

"Whichever way the wind went, and howsoever briskly, it nevertheless carried upon it a smoky scent, reminiscent of the smoky cigars of a bygone, smoky era."

"'Your skin is so smoky,' she said, whilst throwing my smoky smoking-jacket asunder."

"'What is this unusual flavor which permeates the aspic?' the baroness asked me from across the table. I replied, 'It's called "liquid smoke."' 'It provides the aspic with a wonderful smoky note,' she replied sexually."

So yeah, lots of revising to do...

I guess I've been fixating on smoke ever since Elliott started smoking weed in the living room. When we first moved in, he was polite enough to at least smoke in his room with a towel under the door. But he's become more aggressive lately, pushing Mark and my boundaries, trying to see just what he can get away with. Enough, Elliott! Your smoke is making the house all smoky!

2 comments:

Rho Ell Ste said...

I'll be your whatever-you-want--the bong in this reggae song.

mark said...

Why not try "scorchy?" Like the ragu!